Monday 7 March 2011

Mum Character Design

Due to a lack of team for a couple of weeks, the project fell behind a bit, especially as our main character designer wasn't around. We decided that with the three of us left in the lesson today that we would take it upon ourselves to design a character each.

I decided that I would quite like to design the mum character, who is made up of the basic shapes- triangle body representing the dress and a circular face, with stick arms and legs.

After designing about 4, i wasnt overly happy with them because I thought they looked too styalised to have been drawn by children, especially when i looked back at our reference images drawn by Tom's brother.
Therefore, to create a more sketchy effect and so that the shapes weren't too 'perfect', I decided to draw a few designs with my left hand because I thought that I needed to go back to basics and put myself in the mind of a child trying to draw- and using my weakest hand helped achieve this. I was happier with these designs as they appeared to be more child-like.






















After deciding which character design worked best, i tried to draw it with my right hand so that it would be easier to reachieve. I then drew a couple of turnaround, well attempted after realising that my characters were 2D being children's drawings. I also tried to draw the kneeling down pose for one of the end scenes in the animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment